Monday, August 27, 2018

On a Roll in Pre-K

Wait.... what that's not my kid! Oh yes! So let's start on the 1st day. He was not thrilled about going in the opposite direction (for the past 2 years he had been at KCA, the public school is the other way). No me no go to big school me small boy. HEY first off that was an AMAZING sentence. Remember last year at this time he said 1-2 words at a time. EEEK

So in we go. Let me start off by saying that Ms. Pam, Ms Debbie, and his teacher Ms. Peak were ABSOLUTELY amazing. I have had my battles with the school, but that first day changed me on so many levels. I was leaving my kid with his village and trusting them with my precious child. Dacotah was super clingy and when Ms. Debbie took him from me, you could hear his blood curling scream throughout the cafeteria. Did my heart break. Yep into a million pieces. I won't lie I was so scared. I snuck around the corner so he couldn't see me, and Ms. Debbie was patting him to try to calm him down. By the time they got to the hallway he was holding her hand and off they went.

THAT MOMENT when Ms. Debbie took him from me, melted my heart in a way that only a mom could understand. But it was as though Dacotah was hers and she was there to help him. She stayed with him all day Wed, all day Thursday and even part of the day on Friday. She didn't have to but she made sure he was going to be okay. In fact, his ENTIRE team Ms. Pam, Ms. Phyllis, Ms. Mandy, Ms Pat, Ms. Debbie and Mrs. Peak and Ms. Nikki all made his transition one to remember. There are not enough words!!! Really there isn't.

Throughout the day I saw pictures and saw him being in the classroom and participating. I saw a side of him that we had been working towards since May with ABA and it's made a huge difference.

When he was picked up from school he said yes when we asked if he had a good day. Did he like Ms. Peak...yes. Did he have friends.... me have lots of friends...big school. Again we could not have asked for a better transition.

Last week was his first full week and I keep hearing all of the positives and how well he is doing. To say he is exceeding expectations would be an understatement. He has done amazing. I tell him before dropping him off in the cafeteria that I have 5 minutes with him and then I have to go to work. It WORKED wonders. I can sit him down at the table to play and tell him I'm going to work and he tells me bye with no tears!


No comments:

Post a Comment