Monday, May 16, 2016

OT with Mel initial contact and random thoughts

I met Dacotah's OT last week on Tuesday, her name is Mel, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE HER, Dacotah loved her and interacted with her during her visit. She was great, the coordinator Sherry came with her to introduce us, and it was instant connection before she ever took a step inside. We had worked for a couple weeks making Dacotah a sensory room in our den that's shared with Montana's games and TV but it works!

Mel was astounded that I had a ball pit with a slide, a gymnastics mat, puzzles (thanks Monica and Shawn), he has a ride on train Mamaw and Papaw Pickell bought him for his birthday (he is still unsure of it but will ride it 1-3x around the track before signing he is all done), I made him a weighted blanket (and since then a weighted bear), and sensory bottles!

Let me tell you about sensory bottles and everything else online that is classified as special needs! Weighted blankets smaller in size than the one I made sell for $60-$100... My cost $30. Sensory bottles run $35 for a set of 4, or $10 each. My cost for 4... $10! I have always been a crafty hands on person but the price hike is crazy!!!!

So anyway Mel said he climbs up the slide backwards (most kids are 4 before they reverse climb) because he's strong in his upper arms and torso, and it provides sensory input, most parents discourage him going up backwards but she said to let him. It will provide sensory input to his vestibular system which will help build his connections that are missing in his brain. (Again not 100% sure how everything is connected and I have no intentions of becoming a neurologist to find that out) basically our brains have pathways that are built, a child with SPD is missing those pathways and have to find ways to build the circuit that's missing. She also suggested weighing down all of his toys especially his cardboard building bricks (we have since added shelled corn and taped them up) he had picked up a huge interest in them since we added the weight.

Mel will accompany us at some point out in town to see how we can help him adapt to being in public places. I was thinking today how to put this in words and oddly enough someone asked me about SPD and how it works. So here goes

   Most of us hear the everyday sounds going on around us and pay little to no attention. Sure a blaring car horn, or a parent raising their voice, or a crying kid will get your attention. But a child with SPD hears every single sound almost individually all at one time. The dog is barking the wind is blowing, a car drives by, while a train blows its horn nearby, and people are in the yard talking, not to mention the sights of everything, or the smells.. It's almost like an adult in a loud concert and you can't hear anything going on, yet there is so much going on at the same time, so the child tries processing it and it's too much too fast and their brain freaks out which leads to them screaming and crying until they find comfort whether it's nursing, rocking, a bear hug telling them it's okay and holding them tight until the fear passes, and sometimes it's the complete opposite they shut down and turn away from it. On a recent trip with sissy's school we stay away from as many people as possible, but in the zoo you have school groups, every time a group went by, Dacotah dropped and turned his head away. It wasn't a shy response (I asked about this) it was over stimulating to he tried to block it out by smelling us and turning away every time a group would pass.

 Then there are days like a recent trip to Dollywood surprisingly he did well, he still hated the rides, except the 50s cars which he loved but wasn't sure about the blaring music, but when it came time to ride the ducks or the carousel or the flying bees he would say Wow!!! But if you tried to put him in the seat, it was melt down city! Remember the car seat restraint same concept. The recent trip to Aldis was horrific he was a screaming crying mess! Ha dad and his girlfriend took him to Walmart one day and dad said, "I have never seen a child act like he did, he screamed nonstop anytime we stopped" Barbara stayed with him in the car while dad did their grocery shopping. Sad to say but I am glad it's not all in my head! .

Mel has been in contact about getting some Lycra material, some compression type clothes (I am trying to find someplace local for under armour that's 18m so he can try it on before I go online and buy it), and a hammock for the front yard. She complemented the room and the front yard.

Confession time: so last fall Montana accidentally left the den door open... And you know how they say God speaks in a small still voice how very true. I thought Dacotah was safely playing in the den, instead I found him down the back alley and a few days later a repeat incident occurred while I was cooking dinner and he was in the middle of the street. Nope I didn't have a full eye on him either time. The first time I was in the bathroom the second I was cooking dinner. After that new locks were put on the den door, and a privacy fence went up around our front yard. I don't need to hear I should have been right there, because you know what you are right I should have been and I wasn't. So we made him a safe place.

Our front yard is fully enclosed and the front door opens directly to a locked privacy fence no one gets in, he can't get out, it's fully safe and allows him the freedom to be inside or out as much as his heart contends. So Mel loves that she has a yard with a slide, swing, ride on toys and tables for sensory learning at his disposal.

I like Mel and I am excited to see what she had in store for her next visit which is scheduled for next week! Dacotah even waved and told her bye!

1 comment:

  1. Kristy, I am praying for your health. You are absolutely amazing - so creative and one super-terrific mother. Love to you, Travis, Montana, and Dacotah...

    ReplyDelete