Monday, May 16, 2016

The First Tears from Mommy

I tried posting this at 5am this morning. So finally I think I found how to submit a new post.

The first tear from mommy


I have to say I think the first feeling I had sitting in the OTs office in Kingsport was one of relief. Finally,we had a diagnosis that matched everything about Dacotah. The lights, sounds, over stimulation, etc boiled down to Sensory Processing Disorder and mild speech delay. I pondered on the mild speech delay and we had the second evaluation through early intervention it was most definitely Severe speech delay he is 26months with the speech of a 9-12month old. 

The SPD obviously creates challenges and with those, we will meet milestones one step at a time. The speech, however, is probably the hardest thing as his parents we deal with.

Travis doesn't say much but I can tell he is frustrated when Dacotah calls him mommy to get his attention to go play. Let me say this he calls him mommy, regardless if I am in the room or not. He knows we are different people that's obvious but he stopped saying daddy a year ago, very rarely does he ever say da da and that's rare.

At work one day Dacotah was with me while I was talking to doc right after his diagnosis and as Dacotah walked back up front to Teresa he looks back over his shoulder and signed for me to come with him, (his sign is holding his hand face up and curling his fingers toward him). With tears in my eyes, I stood there and said, "you know the hardest part is not hearing him talk, not being able to understand why he is frustrated and not knowing what he wants". I don't remember docs words I was too caught up in my pity party but it was along the lines Dacotah will learn to talk in his own way in his own time. Which is very true

His words may never be communicating the way we do with each other, but he will talk, with the right speech therapist, he will get there just one simple step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment