Friday, May 20, 2016

Speech Day 2

So I went all day today dreading the speech visit. I dreaded seeing the therapist show up knowing I had to let her have access to Dacotah. I told Teresa at work I just have a feeling, call it intuition but something that makes me feel like this generally doesn't turn out well.

I still don't know for sure that this is going to be a good fit. Travis said she seemed fine, but my mommy gut doesn't feel it's quite right. So a quick run down. She pretty much talked to me and Travis telling us what we are doing wrong. She said we should not use visual cues and shouldn't attempt teaching him any more sign language, which is completely the opposite of what OT told me the last visit. So I'm not 100% sure that everyone is on the same page, this lady is more old school, they don't get anything unless they attempt to say a word up to the point of utter frustration. Sorry I know it may be helpful but causing him undue stress by taking his toy away and saying car and trying to get him to say it and only giving it back right before he starts screaming???? I'm sure that's a great way to get him to learn from you. *sigh* or the fact that OT tells us the opposite to not make everything stressful and avoid it as much as possible.

I asked her what her evaluation showed and she said well he has speech delays and I'll have it to you the next visit (that's what she said last visit). :( again I'm trying not to point out every thing negative but I did raise Montana and so far other than some random back talking she does fine.

Honestly as I'm laying here trying to think of anything positive she said I'm not sure there was anything. Oh yeah, she was excited that he is starting to try a few more foods. We found some chicken fingers at Aldis that he likes A LOT.

We were suppose to have an hour visit and she barely stayed 45 min saying she needed to leave and get home, but before she left she said she wants to talk to Sherry about bumping his speech to every week so she can keep a closer watch on him???  So in the back of my mommy head, is there something she's not telling me, or am I just being too negative? Maybe given that she's on the opposite page of OT perhaps she's not use to Sensory kids.


Maybe I need to go with my thoughts and request a new speech therapist but then the question arises does he need every week; should I wait and get that set up first then request a new therapist, or should I keep it every two weeks and get a new therapist first....

Ack!!!!!! I am so confused and stressed

No comments:

Post a Comment